Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: amp, mics, SPLs picture...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Similar to using headphones as a 'mic', way, way back in my teen years I had played around using a speaker hooked up through a vacuum tube output transformer to step up the impedance as a 'mic'. It worked, but not well as could be expected.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I learned about headphones as a mic from rave DJs in the 90s. Apparently it's a pretty standard trick since they've almost always got the cans, but very often "forget" the mic. I've heard they can work well for upright bass.

Speakers as mics (well, headphones ARE speakers), but people have been doing that for years too. Most common usage is as a "sub kick" mic to get the ultra low thump. In fact there are a number of companies out there building them with nice mounting hardware and everything.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Wacky......I know.........but lots of headphones can be used as a mic..........normally not with good results...........but essentially they can work as a mic. When I was young........back before the wheel.......I remember plugging in a set of headphones into the mic jack of a cassette recorder. With the input fader pushed all the way.......I could record. Just my 2 cents.
    Not in the least wacky! Basic electro-magnetics. The loudspeaker as a kick mic is almost standard kit in many studios I believe?

But...to the chase? Typo methinks James?

Dave.

Thanks
    What's even more fun is that Dynamic mics are also speakers! I had an ART Dual MP for a while and didn't realize that the Instrument and Mic inputs were literally just parallel connected via straight wire until I was playing my guitar standing next to a mic I didn't think I was using and heard the guitar coming out.

Thanks
    I know its off topic but for wackiness : output a track or mix through headphones or any speaker small enough to fit in your hand(even use a dyn mic as a "speaker") and play back through a live amped electric guitar pickup , record the output from the amp. The guitar and amp tone controls ,volume ,distortion , various pedals, and the guitar itself can be utilized to manipulate the sound coming from the amp and you can come up with some crazy stuff. I have a fondness for "playing"" rf remotes(TV, DVD Player, etc) through guitar pickups too.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thread Information