Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ventilation for small control room.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    very good question. do your research and use what's in your budget. Mitsubishi makes an interesting room cooler that vents directly outside. I guess you know any cooling/vent system would be turned off when tracking.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    very good question. do your research and use what's in your budget. Mitsubishi makes an interesting room cooler that vents directly outside. I guess you know any cooling/vent system would be turned off when tracking.
    Yep, definitely turned off when tracking! I have a portable air con that i can sit in the corner of the room but once again, it would need to vent it's hot air outake outside through both my leaves. This would probably cause flanking and ruin any isolation i have achieved.

Thanks
    Hey guys,

thanks everyone for your input. Just to clarify, I'm not so worried about fan/air noise from the vent as much as I am more concerned about sound leaking in and out of the ducts thus ruining any isolation I achieve with my two leaf system.

I've been researching this for a while and always seem to come across conflicting info. I have come to the conclusion I willed to use a baffle and I understand the theory behind it, but confused about where it needs to sit and what to run in and out of it to maintain isolation in my room.

Thanks
    I use a Mitsubishi split system air con that is so quiet that on low fan it can be left on, try 21 dBA. I close the door when tracking, when mixing or tinkering around leave the door or window open a bit. Much cheaper solution to fully ducting the studio.

My last studio had a fully ducted air con, I build extensive Large baffles before the room outlets and run the ducting from both rooms back to the air con unit not between rooms. The duct run was over 10 Mtrs (approx 30 Ft) this is not practicable for a home studio but this is what you are up against to isolate sound from air con ducts. My current building would have been a nightmare to duct so I went split, works fine.

Here are some other ideas Link page 33.

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    I use a Mitsubishi split system air con that is so quiet that on low fan it can be left on
    Hey Alan, I think you were the one who turned me on to mini-split a/c's. It works very well. Thanks for that, man.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roguesounds View Post
    Yep, definitely turned off when tracking! I have a portable air con that i can sit in the corner of the room but once again, it would need to vent it's hot air outake outside through both my leaves. This would probably cause flanking and ruin any isolation i have achieved.
    If that is like the one we had at work some years ago it has a long, flexible hose, about 4" OD? So, have a fitting on the wall with a lined duct to the OSWorld and "plug" the AC hose into that. Run the ***t off the AC unit to chill the Marjies, then unplug the hose and stuff in a semi-rigid foam plug with a dense end plate. That should stop sound ingress and exit for a tiny bit of extra time and work.

Dave.

Thread Information